Wednesday, January 14, 2009

The Soul in the Music

November 27, 2000

Dear Jennie,

Yesterday as I was driving home from church, strings came on the radio. I realized how long it has been since I have heard some great strings, and a wave of longing flooded over me. I have hesitated to say much about my deepest feelings here because of the pressure it might place on you. I never dreamed I would have a daughter who could play like you do. When you went away to college, it was as though someone precious had died. I missed the music and all the musical connections. I didn’t want to say that, because it almost sounds like music and you are one and the same. It was just an additional bereavement along with your empty room, your empty desk and bulletin board, and all the absent teasing. I miss you, Jennie, and the soul of you I feel in your music.

No comments: