Tuesday, February 11, 2014

Weakness & Growth

I often think of this journal post by my mama when I'm feeling down about about my weaknesses.  I think we may even be inclined to question God when we struggle with intense weakness and trial in ourselves or our family members.  I am grateful to have her reflections to read now when she is physically far from me to remind me of the wisdom she would share with me if she were here.  While this post is about Ben, it could've been about any of us.

"Ben feels defective--that he is different from other people--unable. We are all defective in one way or another--suffering from depression, less ability to organize than others, more struggles with the public than others, for whatever reasons. All of us have to deal with these defects. All of us are handicapped in some area. Not all handicaps are visible. We have all received wounds that are hidden. It is how we deal with our defects and handicaps that makes the difference. We can give up and act disabled, or we can struggle to overcome them.

This is expressed in the Book of Mormon scripture:

“I give unto men weakness that they may be humble; and my grace is sufficient for all men that humble themselves before me; for if they humble themselves before me, and have faith in me, then will I make weak things become strong unto them.” (Ether 12:27)


 We could have been created without weakness. Then where would be the growth?"

I posted this video on facebook yesterday and it seems to fit so well with this post, so I thought I could share it here too.  The sentiment is the same.



1 comment:

Grace said...

Thanks for posting this beautiful excerpts.
Your mother was an amazing woman who touched many lives, mine including.
She is still loved and missed.
THANKS